Thursday, May 21, 2026

Mandera Residents Demand Removal of Jubaland Forces After Deadly Border Attack

By Alex Wekesa

Residents and leaders in Mandera County are demanding the immediate removal of Somalia’s Jubaland forces from Kenyan territory following a deadly attack that has heightened fears over security and sovereignty in the border region.

The calls Residents and leaders in Mandera County are demanding the immediate removal of Somalia’s Jubaland forces from Kenyan territory following a deadly attack that has heightened fears over security and sovereignty in the border region.

The calls intensified after an attack in Arabia Sub-County left at least six people dead, with local leaders accusing armed Jubaland fighters of operating illegally inside Kenya.

The incident has sparked outrage among residents who say the continued presence of foreign forces is exposing civilians to danger and disrupting normal life in the county.

Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua condemned the killings and linked the violence to what he described as the illegal presence of Jubaland troops in Mandera.

“Two days ago, we witnessed and received sad news from Northern Kenya, where we lost patriotic Kenyans in an act of aggression and incursion by Jubaland forces who continue to be on Kenyan soil illegally,” Gachagua said in a statement.

Mandera Governor Mohamed Adan Khalif has also raised concerns over the alleged occupation of parts of Mandera by the Somali regional forces, warning that the county risks becoming a battleground for conflicts originating from Somalia.

He urged the national government to intervene and protect Kenya’s territorial integrity.

According to local leaders, some schools and public facilities near the border have been affected by the presence of the fighters, with reports indicating that residents have fled their homes due to fear of clashes spilling into Kenya from neighboring Somalia.

Demonstrations have also been staged in parts of Mandera, where residents protested against the continued stay of the forces.

The tension is linked to ongoing clashes between Somalia National Army troops and Jubaland forces in the border town of Bula Hawa, near Mandera. The fighting has displaced hundreds of civilians and raised fears of further instability in the region.

However, the Kenyan government has previously downplayed claims that foreign forces are operating freely inside Mandera.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen earlier stated that security agencies remain in control of the area and suggested that some of those seen in Mandera could be civilians fleeing conflict in Somalia rather than organized foreign troops.

Despite the government’s assurances, pressure continues to mount on Nairobi to take decisive action as residents demand stronger security measures and the removal of all foreign armed groups from Kenyan soil.
after an attack in Arabia Sub-County left at least six people dead, with local leaders accusing armed Jubaland fighters of operating illegally inside Kenya.

The incident has sparked outrage among residents who say the continued presence of foreign forces is exposing civilians to danger and disrupting normal life in the county.

Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua condemned the killings and linked the violence to what he described as the illegal presence of Jubaland troops in Mandera.

“Two days ago, we witnessed and received sad news from Northern Kenya, where we lost patriotic Kenyans in an act of aggression and incursion by Jubaland forces who continue to be on Kenyan soil illegally,” Gachagua said in a statement.

Mandera Governor Mohamed Adan Khalif has also raised concerns over the alleged occupation of parts of Mandera by the Somali regional forces, warning that the county risks becoming a battleground for conflicts originating from Somalia.

He urged the national government to intervene and protect Kenya’s territorial integrity.

According to local leaders, some schools and public facilities near the border have been affected by the presence of the fighters, with reports indicating that residents have fled their homes due to fear of clashes spilling into Kenya from neighboring Somalia.

Demonstrations have also been staged in parts of Mandera, where residents protested against the continued stay of the forces.

The tension is linked to ongoing clashes between Somalia National Army troops and Jubaland forces in the border town of Bula Hawa, near Mandera. The fighting has displaced hundreds of civilians and raised fears of further instability in the region.

However, the Kenyan government has previously downplayed claims that foreign forces are operating freely inside Mandera.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen earlier stated that security agencies remain in control of the area and suggested that some of those seen in Mandera could be civilians fleeing conflict in Somalia rather than organized foreign troops.

Despite the government’s assurances, pressure continues to mount on Nairobi to take decisive action as residents demand stronger security measures and the removal of all foreign armed groups from Kenyan soil.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest Articles